Monday, April 30, 2012

Relentless Pursuit: Hosea


Hosea is an incredible book of the Bible, one that is often overlooked and underrated if you ask me. Because you see, it perfectly describes us. We are Gomer, Hosea's wife. We are unfaithful to our Maker, we look everywhere else for satisfaction when all He wants is for us to be His - completely devoted solely to Him. And still, He loves us. The Lord remains faithful to us even when we turn our backs to Him. He goes after us. He pursues us, though we respond not. And when finally we do respond, He accepts us fully, without counting our sins against us (2 Corinthians 5:19). 


For their mother has played the whore; she who conceived them has acted shamefully. For she said, 'I will go after my lovers, who give me my bread and my water, my wool and my flax, my oil and my drink' 2:5



Gomer thinks that her lovers can provide her with all that she desires, that they will provide for her and shower her with the affection and pleasures she seeks. We believe that we can find sustenance and treasure on our own.


She shall pursue her lovers but not overtake them, and she shall seek them but shall not find them. Then she shall say, 'I will go and return to my first husband, for it was better for me then than now' And she did not know that it was I who gave her the grain, the wine, and the oil, and who lavished on her silver and gold, which they used for Baal. 2:7-8


But in truth, it was not her lovers who provided for her. So it is that the Lord provides for us, even as we ignore Him. Just because we may choose not to love God doesn't mean that He stops loving us.


"Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her. And there I will give her her vineyards and make the Valley of Achor a door of hope. And there she shall answer as in the days of her youth, as at the time when she came out of the land of Egypt. "And in that day, declares the Lord, you will call me 'My Husband' and no longer will you call me 'My Baal' 2:14-16


I will allure her. Every time. God will call us forth into His arms. He restores us. He redeems us.


And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy. I will betroth you to me in faithfulness. And you shall know the Lord. 2:19-20


The Lord brings us into community with Him, not to satisfy a fleeting desire, but forever. We will never have to worry or fear again. He is faithful.

and I will sow her for myself in the land. And I will have mercy on No Mercy, and I will say to Not My People, 'You are my people'; and he shall say, 'You are my God'" 2:23


We are God's people. Not because we chose Him, but because He chose us. Had it not been for His pursuit, we would still chase after that which does not satisfy.


Hosea's Wife

Brooke Fraser used the word "belligerently" in a song. If you had any doubts about her song-writing prowess from the last time I mentioned it, please erase them.

I just spoke silence with the seeker next to me
She had a heart with hesitant, halting speech
That turned to mine and asked belligerently
"What do I live for?"

I see the scars of searches everywhere I go
From hearts to wars to literature to radio
There's a question like a shame no one will show
"What do I live for?"

We are Hosea's wife
We are squandering this life
Using people like ladders and words like knives

[CHORUS]
If we've eyes to see
If we've ears to hear
To find it in our hearts and mouths
The word that saves is near
Shed that shallow skin
Come and live again
Leave all you were before
To believe is to begin

There is truth in little corners of our lives
There are hints of it in songs and children's eyes
It's familiar, like an ancient lullaby
What do I live for?

We are Hosea's wife
We are squandering this life
Using bodies like money and truth like lies

[CHORUS]

[Bridge]
We are more than dust
That means something
That means something
We are more than just
Blood and emotions
Inklings and notions
Atoms on oceans






No comments:

Post a Comment