Saturday, April 14, 2012

I Like Eating Plants

I like wheatgrass and vegetables and tea that tastes plant-y instead of fruity. I just do.

So today, when we visited the traditional hospital, I was pretty into it. On one hand, I really like the idea of natural/traditional medicines. I think there's a lot our bodies can do, and were meant to do. It was fun going on a tour of the plant garden and seeing how different leaves could be used to cure different diseases. We ate what were described to us as cherries, but they didn't look or taste like them at all. They were little garishly yellow miniature (seriously miniature) pumpkins that were sour and bitter and I loved them. I commented that I'd like to just eat a baggie of them. Walking home from lunch later, I found a woman who was indeed selling baggies of them, for 25cfa. She may be my new favorite person.

We saw where they dried all the plants and I thought it was funny to see a little kitchen, as I was pretty sure it was for making the medicines and not for actual cooking. Then we peeked around the pharmacy. Our professor bought soap.

Then we went to the part I'm less sure about, the healers, who are specially trained marabouts. We talked with him, but it was hard to get a good feel for what he does/how to works because we didn't actually seem him with any patients. So a skeptic I remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment