Saturday, April 28, 2012

Duma Peace Corps

I finally succeeded in purchasing Betsy and Liztowne's present!!!! Now let's just hope I succeed in getting it home. 

In any case, I went to the little shop and didn't even consciously make the decision to speak Wolof, it just happened. It's so strange that words that once tasted so unfamiliar in my mouth now feel as comfortable as these faded sun-dried blue jeans I'm wearing. The vendor, whose name was Djibril (go figure), was really impressed, especially when he learned I'd been here just since January. I think it's a long time relative to the amount of Wolof I speak, but he disagreed. So much so in fact that he gave me one of those, "Oh, peace corps" kind of looks as he said, "peace corps"

When you speak Wolof, a lot of people assume you're peace corps because of their intense language learning program. I told Djibril that I was just a student, and we had some laughs. It was a pretty far walk for such a short encounter, but it was worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment