Thursday, April 19, 2012

Des Petits Trucs

- Truc is a word that literally means everything. Belt, car, teapot, boubou - whatever. For me, it helps cover up the fact that I may not know a certain word. It's basically the French equivalent of thingamajig

- My host sister Amy told me my skirt was sexy the other day (for the record it was well past my knees) She speaks a lot of English but doesn't like to use it. Most of what she uses is sassy. Then today she told me I was cute.

- Amy: "I know why you don't have a boyfriend" (this, after a joke in which I told her I had one for every day of the week). So I said why, and she proudly told me it was because I was married. I informed her of her error and she said, "Well then you're engaged". Nope.

- Addie and I went to Sandaga today; it was much more chill than last time. We did have some annoying men follow us but not for terribly long and they weren't so aggressive. One man was selling perfume and he was kind of nice so I was talking to him in Wolof. At first he said it would be 10,000cfa, but after awhile, he made it 5,000 because I spoke such good Wolof. I didn't want any, but it made me smile.

- Can public transport be a hobby? I think it's one of mine.

- We are officially done with all our academic work. It feels sooooo good. Ibou Diallo said most students are nervous about a 10-minute presentation and often do less, but he was impressed by us. We all took around a half hour...we went over, but as he was telling us how much he's enjoyed having us in class and especially the presentations, we were smiling and laughing.

- I have God is Able stuck in my fingers which is way worse than being stuck in your head. Just ask any guitar player.

- 50cfa will get you some pretty awesome things: 2 bags of nuts (XADI!), a bag of sliced mango, a giant delicious slice of watermelon, cafe touba, 2 sour punch straw type things, or....I don't know what else. 50cfa is about 10 cents.

- Djiby volunteered to go to the airport with me when I leave. I don't know if that would make the whole departure thing better or worse.

- Zeina is sick :(

- I think I have something like 15 days left. YIKES. Last week I was feeling kind of ready to go home and see everyone, but the closer that day comes, the harder it gets.

- Djiby's animated cousin called out to us as we left his house and pulled me back inside to come greet everyone. She was crazy! He said she wore him out, doing things like this, but also dumping water on him in the morning.

- Some child related in some way to Muhammed was around when I passed by Yamma's and met up with Djiby. She hung all over me - so adorable. Then when we tried to leave, she put herself between us and held both our hands. I want to take her home with me.

- Here's what I ate today, just to give you an idea: bread with butter, instant coffee, benay (fried dough, kind of like donuts), ceeb with lamb and veggies, a whole mango, mango slices, watermelon slice, french fry onion fish salad, 2 oranges. And a bunch of water, naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment