Monday, April 2, 2012

What Would Betsy Do?

My actions tonight have absolutely nothing to do with any of my Kate-ness and everything to do with the spirit of Betsy that decided to come alive.

I grabbed my side bag at approximately 3:40pm in the hopes of walking around a bit, possibly getting a few things done school-wise, and stopping by the tailor to sketch out a new piece for the fabric I received from my incredible host family this weekend. But, strangely, Doudou wasn't there. Anyways, I got a text saying I could go over to Djibi's and make tea. One can never go wrong with attaya so away I went.

Expecting a leisurely afternoon of lazily making tea and conversation, I didn't think to go home and drop some of my stuff off. During the second round of attaya, Djibi said he had to leave at 6 for the Youssou N'Dour concert at Place De L'Obelisque. I will now pause from my story to explain why this is significant.

Youssou N'Dour, King of Mbalax, is Senegal's absolute most loved and famous singer. He is Michael Jackson taken to the power of Beyonce. He was famously vocal in his opposition to Wade and ignited a movement of the youth. Today was Wade's descent from the Palace, and Macky Sall's first day as president. The same week that Senegal had won, Mali faced a military coup. Senegal is the only one of its neighbors never to have had a military regime, and this election was the test. It survived protests, bans, and two rounds of elections, and in the end, democracy won. Senegal is so proud of its transfers of power; Sall is the 4th president. To commemorate the occasion, Youssou offered a free concert for all those in Dakar tonight.

Ok, we're back. of course he asked if I'd want to go. Now the Kate part of me said: it's a school night, you can't be out late. And then the part of Betsy that's alive in me said: You will never get the chance to rage like this again. Rage rage rage.

We finished our tea, and off we went. Since traffic was bound to be a nightmare and taxi fares sky high, we walked. It was pretty far, but come on now, I run cross country. My favorite street foods abounded (baguette+skewer meat+egg+onion+mayo+mustard YUM), as did vendors selling treats and cold drinks (like baggies of bissap!). I also snagged a few Macky fliers (DAD, this is for you!)

There were a number of opening acts, as we awaited the king. The crowd got tighter and tighter; I was so grateful to be with Djibi, as he took my bag for me and also shielded me from the crowd. The MC said over and over again how democracy had triumphed and the Senegalese people had won. I actually almost teared up because it was so powerful.

Youssou N'Dour did not disappoint. He asked for a moment of silence for all those who had been hurt or killed in manifestations, working towards this day. He too acknowledged the victory of the Senegalese people. More than his actual music, it was all he represented for this people I've come to love that made it one of the best concert experiences I've ever had.

If you thought Chicago raged for Obama, you would not have words for what happened tonight in Dakar. Insanity doesn't begin to cover it.

Getting out was the hardest thing. Djibi had promised to have me home by 12:30am, so we did leave early (though that was for the best - I can't imagine trying to leave with everyone). It took awhile to push through the throngs of people, but it gave us time to hear more music. It helps when your super tall Senegalese friend takes the lead.

I arrived home and was locked out. Of course I was, because Kate doesn't come home at 12:30 on a school night. But it was anti-Kate night. I called my sister Zei and she didn't respond. Momentary panic. I called again and apologized and said I was outside. I had no idea how she'd react. But all was fine; she hadn't heard her phone the first time because it was in another room. She was watching the concert on tv! She wished me a good evening and that was that. phew.

So overall a good evening. I wish Eckburg (my xc coach) could've been here, as it would have completely blown his mind.

Ba bennen.

No comments:

Post a Comment