Monday, April 23, 2012

Young and Old

I've been reflecting over my time here, as well as some news. A friend, a former co-intern at GOV, recently announced she was pregnant. She just turned 20 in January, and I know she's really happy. We would stay up late talking about our dreams for the future, and she always said she really wanted to get married and raise children. I think I'd like that too, one day, but as of right now, I don't feel that desire. A facebook friend of mine is counting down the days til his wedding (68); my best friend from high school is looking to get married possibly after graduation next year. I love pouring over engagement albums, and seeing young couples so happy, but again, I don't yet feel that yearning for myself. It's one of those things that makes me feel very young in comparison - like they've started something I'm clueless about. The same is for friends who didn't go to college; they've moved out, they've found apartments, they've gotten real jobs, and I'm still stuck in a student limbo.

I've never been in love, never owned a car, never rented an apartment. This trip to Senegal was my first ever time overseas. I'm voting in a presidential election for the first time in November. Thankfully, I don't have any nieces or nephews (for those of you who don't know, my only sister is a senior in high school).

At the same time, I've traveled much of the US. I've had internships, including one in Dakar. I've gotten paid to translate material from English to French. I speak two languages. I've lived in a foreign country for 4 months - and planned the trip by myself, including booking the flight, getting a passport and a visa. I've been confirmed as the maid of honor in the afore mentioned wedding-to-be. I've stood in to help ease communications with my sister. I've flown across the country to do research for a paper. I'm probably missing some things, but you get the idea...A friend and I just talked about how we should quit growing up - dealing with real jobs, real relationships, adult problems - it's just not all that fun sometimes.

I'm 20. I remember when my aunt was 20 and it seemed so old to me (sorry, but it's true). Now that I'm 20, I'm not sure I feel all that old at all. Which, I think is good. I kind of like being in this in between, as strange as it is. I'm content with what I've done and known so far, but still looking forward to all the things to come.

May the good Lord be with you
Down every road that you roam
And may sunshine and happiness
Surround you when you're far from home
And may you grow to be proud, dignified and true
And do unto others as you'd have done to you 


Rod Stewart, Forever Young 



No comments:

Post a Comment