Tuesday, April 24, 2012

You're Pretty

A silly and serious post all in one.

When men hit on you, they generally start by saying that you're pretty or beautiful, though I have had guys walk up to me and say "I love you" (To that I usually say, "good for you, but I'm already married!"). Young girls in the street see light skin and think it's beautiful, and don't have a problem saying so.

And today, comme toujours, I went to Djiby's house and I was barely in the door when his lively cousin took me to meet Djiby's mom (he lives with his grandparents, and this was my first time; he talks about her a lot thought so I was quite thrilled). She took me upstairs and said, "Elle est jolie, je t'ai dit qu'elle etait jolie, elle est jolie, n'est-ce pas?" Then to me, "Tu es jolie, tu es trop jolie" She cracks me up.

What's ironic is that we all think Senegalese people are knockouts. Honestly, we constantly talk about how beautiful everyone is - men and women alike. We joked it was hard to remember names and faces because it was "beautiful Senegalese woman number 124"

But to have light skin is considered so beautiful. My family has grandchildren in the house, and Zeina is very proud of her lighter brown skin, over Assy's dark coloring. I think it's sad, and is definitely a product of colonization. It's been something for me to work through; the fact that even though I'm in the severe minority, I still have privilege. I remember last year discussing in class if a post racial era will ever exist. Whites are already a minority on planet earth, and numbers in the US are declining rapidly. But still, white privilege remains. Are we so far gone that the diminishing white population will do nothing but augment the privilege and appearance of beauty? Will we soon have so many mixed that there will be a hierarchy of those who remain "pure", that is to say 100% caucasian?

Even though I took Quest For Justice last year, I feel like I've thought more about race this semester than I did in that class, talking about it all the time. I won't turn my thoughts into a book, don't worry. how cliche: white girl goes to Africa and learns everything there is to know about racism!

I'll pass.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, very interesting, it's all geographical I guess. And, ha, not only are you white, but blonde too! I bet that's a real novelty there.

    ReplyDelete