Friday, April 6, 2012

La Bonne

I mentioned a long time ago that my family has a maid. Unlike in the US, this is not something reserved for the super-wealthy; most families have one. It is seen as a way to share with your neighbor-by providing a job for her.

Gnilan and I were friends. She taught me Wolof and attaya and let me help with ceebujen and maafe. My family though was not happy with her work. This became more and more clear throughout my time here: she was late, she didn't listen, she put too many yams in the lunch...a myriad of things, they said. Even though she had been eating around the bowl with the family, she was relegated to eating in the kitchen alone at what I didn't realize was the end.

I went on our trip to Sokone and when I came home, Gnilan had been fired. I was pretty sad (the exact same thing had happened to Ariana, who stayed with this family last year!). All week, a woman who I think was related to the family, Binetou, came to help the household function.

Tonight, we hired a new bonne. She's from Mali and doesn't speak Wolof or a ton of French, so this should be interesting. Mamy said she can make Malian food for us (I'm excited to try it!) and then she'll teach her the Senegalese plates we know and love. She seems sweet, and a bit shy. Though the tailor also stopped by so it was kind of an overwhelming environment. I do need to learn her name though. 

Perhaps the best part of this was Mamay introduced me as one of her daughters - "C'est ma fille americane. Malheuresement, elle partira bientot" That was very sweet. Mamy also joked that I could help her learn basic Wolof. 


One thing that struck me as slightly odd was Mamy being very clear that she only had daughters and that our new bonne wouldn't have any problems with young men working here. I wonder if that means that there are often bonnes who are harassed by young men in the home? 
In any case, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment