Monday, April 9, 2012

How To Not Get Toubab Duped

I realized today that depending on which role I play, I can avoid different dupes.

Identity 1: Silly American who knows nothing and speaks bare minimum French with an awful American accent. Think Paris, Je T'Aime for those of you who like film references. This opens you up to the most basic dupes only and are common sense: ie don't give your money to strangers, don't get into cars with people you don't know unless it's a registered taxi, etc. You know, kid stuff.

Identity 2: American that sounds French. Someone will ask you what nationality you are, usually a choice between French, Canadian, and/or American. When you respond American, he will ask you to take him back to America with him. At this point, I like to say I'm not going back to America for quite awhile. I either let him think I'm staying in Senegal for a long time, or that I'm traveling elsewhere. This could open you up to more complicated dupes that involve a lot of talking. Be on your guard. You may get followed. Laisse moi tranquille is a great phrase in this case.

Identity 3: French/South African/German student at UCAD. This is generally just me accepting whatever answer someone puts in my mouth. I get South African so much. Just roll with it. The dupes are minimal here. At worst, someone will probably want your phone number.

Identity 4: Married, to an American. This generally puts people off, though some men will say, But he's in America. I'm here. The dupe level is very low, and keeps you out of "let me meet your husband" situations. Am naa jekar ba pare.

Identity 5: Married to a Senegalese. When I'm walking by myself, sometimes people just think I'm married to a local. This is the most dupe-free level. You're practically one of them.

Identity 6: American with her act together. This involves speaking a lot of Wolof. So much so that people think you're a peace corps volunteer. When people ask where you're from, you give your Senegalese home. When you reveal you're not with the PC, and the conversation slides to French, they will think you're French. When you reveal you're American, they will be impressed that you speak French. They may  want you to teach them English. There may be some other high-stakes scheme in the back of their minds. But people also may think you've been here a long time and know your stuff. So this is a fun one. And my favorite. Just pay attention and watch for the red flags you learned in your security session.

Some of these identities can be combined (intersectionality all my Beloit liberal arts peeps) to minimize risks in particular situations. Example: #4 and #6 work really well for when you have an aggressive suitor. #s 1 and 5 together insinuate you've already been duped.








No comments:

Post a Comment