Saturday, April 14, 2012

Dying of Thirst

I was thinking back to our time in Dindefello when it was so hot and water was scarce. By the time morning came, we were dreaming of the little store in Kedougou where we knew we could buy water and other cold drinks in abundance. I can remember few times in my life feeling so thirsty.

So I was listening to Lecrae today, and he rapped, "I rejected Your love, grace, kindness, and mercy - dying of thirst yet willing to die thirsty" It made me think about being so thirsty again. If someone had presented me with clean drinking water, I wouldn't have asked questions about who they were or if I should believe in the fact that this water would help me out, I would've just drunk it.

But for some reason, when the Lord says "Come, everyone who thirsts; come to the waters..." (Is 55:1), we stall. We ask hmm can we really believe that?

And what about this one?
but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again.The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life. John 4:14 


We are dying of thirst, we are suffering in our depravity, but we won't reach out and drink of the new life in Christ. We want to ask a million questions of Him first, of how little we can do and still be called followers, if He really walked on water. We would rather go on in our helpless pitiful state asking if we can trust Him, instead of just drinking. He has exactly what we need! 


I noticed tonight when walking with a Senegalese friend that when we have to cross a busy street, I don't often rely on myself. I pay no attention to the traffic - all I do is watch him, and move when he moves, trusting that he's not going to get us run over. 


If only we did that with Jesus, the living water. If only we realized that we cannot help ourselves and that we can either die, or burry ourselves in Him. 


Drink up. 



No comments:

Post a Comment