Thursday, January 1, 2015

Resolved!

Jonathan Edwards read his resolutions once a week. I read them once a year, but try to keep one or two resolutions in mind regularly.

Here are my favorites this year

1b. Resolved, to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind.

6. Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.

8. Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an oaccasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God.

17. Resolved, that I will live so as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.

25. Resolved, to examine carefully, and constantly, what that one thing in me is, which causes me in the least to doubt of the love of God; and to direct all my forces against it.

31. Resolved, never to say anything at all against anybody, but when it is perfectly agreeable to the highest degree of Christian honor, and of love to mankind, agreeable to the lowest humility, and sense of my own faults and failings, and agreeable to the golden rule; often, when I have said anything against anyone, to bring it to, and try it strictly by the test of this Resolution.

33. Resolved, always to do what I can towards making, maintaining, establishing and preserving peace, when it can be without over-balancing detriment in other respects.

43. Resolved, never henceforward, till I die, to act as if I were any way my own, but entirely and altogether God's agreeable to what is to be found in Saturday.

67. Resolved, after afflictions, to inquire, what I am the better for them, what good I have got by them, and what I might have got by them.

70. Let there be something of benevolence, in all that I speak.

I liked more this year than at least the last two years...those are the easily found ones. I probably have records from the two years before that somewhere but I really don't know where. Not on the internet anyway. If you're curious, here's a look back at 2013 and 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment