Friday, January 23, 2015

Exodus

I'm 8 readings in now, and I've really enjoyed this book. It's one of the easiest books of the law to read, because it's one continuous story.

One of my favorites verses I've discovered this week is 23.13

Make no mention of the names of other gods, nor let it be heard on your lips. 

We just wrapped our Hosea study, and the topic of idolatry has come up quite often over the course of our study. The reason why I like this command so much in Exodus is because I know the promise that's in Hosea

For I will remove the names of the Baals from her mouth, and they shall be remembered by name no more

Once you know who God is, you really have no reason to worship anything or anyone else. He is it. And yet, we remain "prone to wander". This is where the promise comes in, and the truth we all need -

God is the one who works in us. He gives the commands, but He also fulfills them. He enables us to do them. The only reason we can live for Jesus is because He lives for us. In this, God is glorified.

But for this purpose I have raised you up, to show you my power so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth. Exodus 9:16 

No comments:

Post a Comment