Thursday, January 2, 2014

Breaking the silence

I know, I know - the blog went dead for an abnormal number of days. But I had family to see and friends and now I'm in Los Angeles with Betsy herself and it's been wonderful. 

I like to read the resolutions of Jonathan Edwards every year and pick out my favorites. Here's what I have this year:

Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live. 

Resolved, to examine carefully and constantly, what that one thing in me is, which causes me in the least to doubt the love of God; and so direct all my forces against it. 

Resolved, never, henceforth, til I die, to act as if I were any way my own, but entirely and altogether God's. 

Resolved, that I will live just so as I can think I shall wish I had done, supposing I live to old age. 

Resolved, not only to refrain from an air of dislike, fretful ness, and anger in conversation, but to exhibit an air of love, cheerfulness, and benignity. 

I know I'm a day late on resolutions, but I had time to reflect today. Betsy asked me maybe 2 days ago what mine would be, but I never had it figured out (besides the ones Elizabeth and I started early). 

As I reflected and prayed, I started softly humming Be Thou My Vision. The last two lines are indeed my resolution: 

Heart of my own heart, whatever befall
Still be my vision, o ruler of all.

I want to be focused on Jesus. I want to recognize his goodness when all is well and I want to rejoice when it doesn't seem like he is the king, because he is indeed the good king; when God says yes, the answer is never no. 

No comments:

Post a Comment