Friday, January 30, 2015

More Jesus

I recommend a lot of things. If I didn't love what I was doing and the effects thereof, I wouldn't do it. I talk about a lot of books, recipes, diet and exercise changes, and how much I love the church, reading the Bible and personal musical worship. I realize I hold a lot of things to be important to me, and that not everything works for everyone. But the change your mind reading plan is truly something wonderful and amazing. 

I just read through Mark for the fourth time in less than 24 hours, and I have to say, reading the gospel over and over and letting Jesus teach me daily, hourly sometimes, is so radically transformative. I know I've shared this before, but my pastor always says, "read your Bible until it reads you". I think it is awesome to read the Bible from start to finish, and if it takes you a year, great. It's a year of Bible reading well spent. But I have read the Bible many times over and I have still seen so much in reading one book repeatedly for awhile. The first time or two, it's always about information. Context. Big picture. The story. And after that, it becomes about wisdom. Knowledge. Insight. Understanding. 

I was sitting there holding my Bible and tears came from nowhere. I just love the word so much. I love the Jesus it reveals. As my favorite survivor contestant of all time would say, "This book just breathes life". I love feeling the worn places. I love seeing the markings, the names, the quotes, the references. I love that everything from John to Ephesians is hanging on by just a thread in the binding. I love that the Kids min guide for this week is tucked on back with a 20 Schemes prayer card, that there's a bookmark made by Betsy where our pastor's preaching right now, and the schedule for Bible study slipped into the pages of Joel. To me, these are all Ebenezers, reminders of what The Lord has done and hope for all that is to come. 

Jesus Jesus how I trust Him 
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er
Jesus Jesus precious Jesus 
O for grace to trust Him more

I get more and I want more. And it's all grace. 

1
More about Jesus would I know,
More of His grace to others show;
More of His saving fulness see,
More of His love who died for me.
 More, more about Jesus,
More, more about Jesus;
More of His saving fulness see,
  More of His love who died for me.
2
More about Jesus let me learn,
More of His holy will discern;
Spirit of God my teacher be,
Showing the things of Christ to me.
3
More about Jesus; in His Word,
Holding communion with my Lord;
Hearing His voice in every line,
Making each faithful saying mine.
4
More about Jesus; on His throne,
Riches in glory all His own;
More of His kingdom’s sure increase;
More of His coming, Prince of Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment