Friday, January 23, 2015

Nobody likes you when you're 23

That's a Miley Cyrus reference for everyone who's not as with it as I am (let's be real; I only know it because I am 23 and I think it's a rule you have to then).

Today, I mentioned that I haven't had any cramps this month, and Elizabeth pointed out that the only big change in diet is the whole sugar thing. Hmmm maybe we're onto something here. Elizabeth also takes the cake for best roommate award for making me a creamy, satisfying, nutritionally dense recovery smoothie while I showered off my cycle fit sweat. Dates, coconut oil, swiss chard, avocado, peanut butter, banana, chia seeds, and soy milk made this a smoothie that ultraman Rich Roll could be proud of. I love her.

Also today, the I had a private yoga practice and the instructor and I talked about my back and then he asked how hard I wanted to work. Now remember, this is my fourth full in person yoga class ever. But I love this instructor. I wish I had videos of his classes. I would do them every day. So I made the naive mistake of saying "I like working hard". We did a challenging vinyasa cycle several times over in a half hour and then "played with some handstands" before challenging depth in a handful of poses and ending in an extended shavasana. He said he's amazed at my body control and awareness and doesn't like to tell me what to do coming out of poses because I know what I need...sure...the girl who didn't slow down for a pinched nerve knows what her body needs...but anyway. He also said that the more inversions I can do, the more pressure it will take off that nerve. Who knows? Maybe I can wow my chiropractor.

I spent an extended time in worship today, which probably sounded terrible because I have half a voice due to a cold (but if all I get is this cold and not the nasty flu going around, I'll be pleased), but it was just as heartfelt and honest as ever. I've been walking around singing "My heart is filled with thankfulness" by the Gettys. It's really true. I have so much to be thankful for. I feel like I'm in a really good place - I'm exercising, I'm eating well, I'm taking care of my body, I'm enjoying God's Word and His people. I probably sound like a broken record, but I have seen so much change in my life, and it all helps me love Jesus more. I recently journaled a lot about yoga and the Christian life, and while there are good arguments built around Christians taking an anti-yoga position, there are also good arguments neutral or in favor of it. I used to be so wary of it, but now that I'm involved (8 consecutive days and counting), I see how being connected to myself brings me closer to the Lord and helps me see Him and praise Him and enjoy Him, and when I do that I can be confident that I glorify Him. And what is the chief end of man but to know God and glorify Him forever? (Westminster Catechism question 1).

So maybe nobody likes Miley when they're (?) she's (? - is she even 23?), but I really like me right now at 23, and I think that's good enough.

My heart is filled with thankfulness
To Him who bore my pain;
Who plumbed the depths of my disgrace
And gave me life again;
Who crushed my curse of sinfulness
And clothed me in His light
And wrote His law of righteousness
With pow'r upon my heart.

My heart is filled with thankfulness
To Him who walks beside;
Who floods my weaknesses with strength
And causes fears to fly;
Whose ev'ry promise is enough
For ev'ry step I take,
Sustaining me with arms of love
And crowning me with grace.

My heart is filled with thankfulness
To him who reigns above,
Whose wisdom is my perfect peace,
Whose ev'ry thought is love.
For ev'ry day I have on earth
Is given by the King;
So I will give my life, my all,
To love and follow him.

No comments:

Post a Comment