Saturday, January 3, 2015

Day 3

On the third day of not eating refined sugar, my true love said to me, "please make some delicious brownies" 

You guys. If you find a friend who will live with you, go vegan with you, eat refined sugar, egg and dairy free brownies with you, and watch the same food documentary multiple times with you, hold onto that one! 

She blogs over at 
http://wishuponsunshine.blogspot.com/?m=1

I found this recipe over at Jillian Michaels' website and oh my. Also, I don't know why I never tried to find her website before. I love Jillian. And her website rocks. 



http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fit/lose-weight/ultimate-healthy-fudge-brownie

I subbed flax for the egg and added some pecans leftover from another baking endeavor. 

Now there is quite a lot of honey in this so it's still pretty sweet but there's also minimal oils and fats. Pretty great stuff. 

Today I realized that even skipping refined sugar is full of little annoyances, inconveniences and limitations. But it's good, because it makes me think about why I want what I want and the habits I've created around sugar. Even if it's "just" stuff like soy lattes or flavored coffees or vegan cookies. It reminds me of what Kyle Idleman wrote in Gods at War, his book on idolatry - that we can be enslaved to something without choosing to be so, and even without recognizing it. We can be so comfortable with our idols that they become part of routine for us and we don't know how to do life without them. Identifying these hidden idols brings us closer to the true and living God, revealed in His Son, Jesus. 

Profound thoughts for day 3, I know. 

1 comment: