Thursday, January 15, 2015

'Cause when you're 15...

We are almost halfway through the month of January! Not eating sugar has led to keeping less other junky type foods in the house. So when I'm hungry, there are fruits, hummus, vegetables, nuts/but butters, and larabars. (Sugar free) bread and/or flax tortillas. Which can be annoying when you just want to eat something crappy, but probably good for me in the long haul. Especially with whatever's going on in my back.

My kids need to watch Fed Up. They asked if they could leave gymnastics to go buy m and ms. What a fail. I tried to tell them how they've been tricked into liking sugar by food corporations but they weren't buying it.

Also, Jordan is sick and said,

"You know what helps you feel better? Sugar and processed food"

What actually helped her: essential oils and elderberry +zinc lozenges.

Speaking of, I've been really into natural remedies lately...elderberry as preventative medicine and then cough syrup, ginger for nausea, essential oils for headaches, and now bromelaine for my sore achy back. This really does help point me to Jesus, through whom all things were created. I am really seeing how well God made our bodies, and how He gave us what we need to heal them. I think modern medicine can be really necessary and totally awesome too, but I've also enjoyed seeing how plants can help common ailments in day to day life.

If I hadn't lived with Elizabeth, I wouldn't have read Finding Ultra and went vegan or watched Fed Up and gave up refined sugar for a time or read What to Eat or Salt Sugar Fat and kicked processed foods for real (ok so joe-joe's but whatever). I really think all of these things piqued my interest in natural remedies, namely because they work. Yesterday, I was in a lot of pain, and I heated, iced, took ibuprofen, excedrin, massaged, let Jordan crack my back, stretched, rolled, did yoga, used biofreeze, and icy hot and NOTHING helped even a little bit. So I googled natural remedies, went to Fred Meyer and got some Bromelaine. It's the only thing that's had any effect on me, and it's wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment