Thursday, January 8, 2015

8 is great

I love baking. I just do. My mom was the baking mom when I was growing up (and she still is the cookie lady for our neighbors, family and friends nearby), and I crafted my first signature recipe before I could consistently write legible cursive (do they even teach penmanship anymore?) 

The curious thing, is that while I love baking, I don't actually love baked goods. Yes I appreciate delicious scones/cookies/brownies/cakes/bars/muffins (and donuts), but if I make a batch, I have no problem eating one or two and sharing the rest. Maybe I'll eat one a day until they're gone. And that's part of what I love about baking: I love when other people enjoy what I make. I also love the process; for me it's an activity as much as its a means to the end goal of a delicious treat. It's a true hobby for me. And eating isn't really a hobby of mine in the same way. 

That being said, it is easier to use white and brown sugars in baking. It just is. And chocolate chips make everything just a little more delicious. So having to work around that is a challenge for me. But I like challenges. Vegan baking was once new territory for me, and I really don't even think about it anymore; substitutions just come naturally and I don't give myself other options. Maybe sugar will turn out the same way, although I sincerely doubt it. 

Today I made the carrot cake cookie recipe from the Thug Kitchen cookbook Elizabeth got for Christmas. I used maple syrup instead of brown sugar. I think I should have used half maple syrup and have molasses to make the cookies more delicious. They were also more like scones but that's cool with me. And they have carrots and raisins in them so your fruits and vegetables are all squared away there, right? 

The larabar apple pie bar is my new favorite flavor, by the way. I love that they have so many flavors with just a few but and fruit ingredients. 

I have upped my fruit intake, anticipating sugar cravings...I figure if I'm eating natural sugar I'll be less tempted? I don't know, but I'm really into apples, bananas, dried apricots and raisins right now so I'm going to go with it for now. 

And that's it. Bye. 


No comments:

Post a Comment