Monday, February 20, 2012

Peeking Peking Pikine

Josh and Adeline's professor, Leah, arrived yesterday and has the goal of seeing what further opportunities there will be for her students in the future. When I went to the office this morning, I was expecting to be there all day, but instead I tagged along to visit a ministry partner in Pikine, on the outskirts of Dakar. They have a clinic, where they also hand out medicines and they offer literacy courses and vocational training for women in catering and tailoring. There is also a small church that meets on Sundays with about 9-12 people. It's so encouraging to see ministries meeting people where they are. By filling real, day to day needs, they are able to minister to those who would otherwise be skeptical about a Christian organization. But they see that these Christians care about them and want them to succeed in life, and then, in theory, the begin to see that we are motivated by the love of Jesus, the Son of God and Savior of mankind.

It was also fun talking to Leah about her first experiences here - she had ceebujeen for the first time and learned a little Wolof. It's strange how things are so comfortable here for me. I remember being full of questions and excitement, and wondering when we were going to figure things out. I had a blast being able to help Leah with some of her questions, and was thankful to be a part of her experience. I took her, Josh, and Adeline to "My Ice Cream" and showed them around the Baobab Center. They let me be part of their filming and invited me to come visit at Tyndale sometime :) Their international development program sounds really great, and I'm praying things will work out for future students.

Oh, and nutella ice cream happened. Yup.

No comments:

Post a Comment