Thursday, February 16, 2012

La Différence

This is not one of those the American church is so weak compared to the church in _________ (you fill in the blank with whatever country you want) posts. Even if it were, I criticized the American church before I ever went abroad (Radical by David Platt is a great book). Instead, this is a call to stand up and be proud about what you believe.

One of my Senegalese friends was texting me and asking what I was up to today. I had said that after lunch I was headed to my internship for a Bible study and prayer meeting. He said something to the effect of, "Oh so you actually practice" and I said, "Yes, of course I do. The Lord is my everything" He responded:

"La différence qu'il y a entre toi et les autres américaines que j'ai connu est que toi t'es une croyante et sache que seul la foi en Dieu peut aider une personne a prendre bien soin de sa vie"

"The difference between you and the other Americans that I've known is that you are a believer and know that only faith in God can help someone take good care of his life"

This, despite the fact that he's known many other American students, including some from my college last year. He's told me about a lot of other friends he's made while they were here, but he said that I'm the first one he's met who's actually practicing.

That's pathetic. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the truth. How many people think that Christianity is an unimportant faith because of the number of people who profess it, but don't make it important in their lives? How are we ever going to show them the greatness of being in Christ if we don't exemplify it ourselves?

If that's not a call to action, I don't know what is. Hudson Taylor once said, "If Jesus isn't Lord of all, than He isn't Lord at all". You cannot be halfway. There is no "almost" in God's book. To be a Christian without "practicing" is to be a Christian without Christ, and that simply does not exist.

Please enjoy this spoken word called "Almost Saved" I know it's close to 7 minutes, but I love it, and there's some convicting truth in there that needs to be heard. It feels more like 2 minutes to me, really.


The difference: "You were once arctic, but it's your warmness that is causing Him to spew you"

So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Revelation 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment