Thursday, February 16, 2012

Musings from Behind the Veil

Last night, I talked about the veiling of women, in relation to the Holy of holies “behind the veil”. I neglected to emphasize that here in Senegal, covering one’s hair is not as religiously associated as it is cultural. Many Christian women also cover their hair, though not as many as Muslim women. Today, I worked up the nerve to challenge my toubab status and wear a head covering. Call it a cross-cultural experiment if you will.

I was intrigued by the various reactions:

-Val’s friend told me I was African. Note, he didn’t say Muslim, demonstrating the cultural significance over the religious one.

-ACI staff outside the Baobab Center grinned approvingly and greeted me very enthusiastically.

-The group of Lewis and Clark girls that was there (about half their group) mostly looked at me like I was a freak. At least one appeared to be smirking. My numerous greetings went unreturned (although this has happened previously as well).

-The Beloit girls smiled, and seemed to brighten a bit.

-Angeline said that the purple was a good color for me. I liked this response because it didn’t in any way suggest what I was doing was bizarre or abnormal. It was as though I were just wearing a nice dress or other article of clothing.

-Addie also said to the four others, “you guys look beautiful”, in accordance with our color scheme. Again, it did not acknowledge anything out of the ordinary.

-Our Wolof professor said I was Senegalese, alxamdoolilay, and rafet na (which means that’s pretty/beautiful)

These reactions represented the embracing of cultural assimilation and experience, and the lack thereof.

What was important to the experiment for me, however, was how I felt. I was a little taken aback by the empowering effect. I felt truly and uniquely beautiful, in a way I never had before. It made me wonder if this is where part of the elegance, confidence and radiance of traditional (and even moderately/mildly traditional) Senegalese women comes from.

I tried to imagine my veiled self in the US. I think it’s sad that all I could imagine is judgment and misunderstanding. There’s a particular aspect of feminine grace demonstrated by making the choice (key word: choice) to veil or cover one’s hair. Don’t get me wrong, I also think there’s a particular sense of beauty and empowerment in the changing of and caring for one’s hair – a highlight, color, cut or style change can be equally confidence boosting in their own special ways. I think about these things daily - to wear a bun, a ponytail, braids, pigtails, a headband, barrettes, clips, straight, curly, long, short, a hat – so why not a veil or headscarf?

And oh yeah, there’s the fact that it’s insanely practical. There’s sand all over the place, and when it’s windy, it gets in your hair and that’s just unpleasant.

I want to clarify one more time that all these positive reactions are nullified when a woman is forced to veil, when she is unable to express herself in the manner she wants to. But when it comes to a choice, I can only say, don’t knock it til you try it!

(Sorry guys, this one doesn’t apply for you)

But here's a picture:



No comments:

Post a Comment