Sunday, February 19, 2012

Explaining Religions

I had a tricky conversation today with my older sister. I'd say she's the least devout person in the family. This is how it went.

Amy: How was church?
Me: It was good, thank you?
Amy: What did you retain; what was the lesson?
Me: After praying and worship, we studied that Bible and talked about continuing to grow in the Lord.
Amy, after a moment of reflection: That's good, very good. Which church?
Me: Eglise Evangelique
Amy: Do you know Jehovah's Witness? They have churches here.
Me: Yes, but that's not me.
Ami: Why not?
Me, choosing just one aspect in order to simplify the conversation: They don't believe Jesus rose from the dead.
Amy: Ohhh, I see. What about Catholics, what do they believe about that?
Me: The same as me, that He rose from the dead.
Amy: So Catholics and Protestants, they're almost the same?
Me, not wanting to go into the many, many ways they differ: No, not at all. Catholics pray to saints, and also to Mary. They also have different views on the afterlife.
Amy: Hmmm Ok.

So it was a pretty fun afternoon at the Samb household. It's a unique challenge to try to describe my own faith to people who have such a limited view of Christianity, but I always enjoy the conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment