Sunday, February 19, 2012

Deedeet, Degg Laa Tuuti!

One of my Senegalese friends keeps telling everyone else I speak good Wolof, which is not really true. No, I only speak a little! (ps that's the translation of the title of this post)

Today, I was planning on going to the beach to sit quietly by myself, but of course I forgot that's rarely a possibility. As soon as I sat down, my phone started ringing and I saw a friend waving from the rocks. He and his friends were just about to start making attaya and they invited me over. How could I resist? We had so much fun chatting. Djibi learned that I play guitar and said he'd find one for me to borrow so I could sing for him sometime. I got really nervous/shy about that! He asked me who my favorite American singer was. I said Kari Jobe, even though I knew he'd have no idea, and I played him a song. He agreed that she had a beautiful voice.

5 rounds of the sugary caffeine loaded tea, and several hours later, we climbed further up on the rocks for a good view of the setting sun. Djibi leaned over and said, "Ca, c'est le grandeur de Dieu" (This, this is the majesty of God). I shared with him Psaume 8:2 (Psalm 8:1; in the French Bible they count the description of the psalm as a separate verse) and he said, "Oui, exactement"

And so, as I understand a little Wolof, I understand even less of God's glory, and the grace that has brought me to this place. But really. How on earth did I get this blessing? Every day gets better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment