Sunday, February 5, 2012

La Vie ou La Mort

Growing up in Waukesha, Wisconsin, graffiti was never really a part of my life. I didn't see it, I didn't understand it, it just wasn't there. Here in Dakar, it's another story. Graffiti is everywhere! There are some general shenanigan types, but right now, a lot of it is about the election. The M23 (the youth opposition group) is behind a lot of it, but other people as well. The vast majority is expressing a dislike of Wade, often very strongly. Occasionally his party chimes in and offers support. In Dakar, forget the political rhetoric of debates and stumping, it's all about the graffiti.

Today, was we were getting a tour of more of the city, and talking about the history, a line caught my eye, "La vie ou la mort" (life or death). It is very possible that it was talking about the election, but for this post I'm going to pretend it wasn't. It reminded me of a conversation I had with Izzy, a Lewis and Clark student, about her tattoo, which says "remember you will die" in Latin, and of a conversation I've been having with another friend for too (is it a conversation if you just read and comment on each other's blogs?)

Anyway, I've just been thinking a lot about life and death and how much closer they are than we might think. I have been very affected this week by those who have committed suicide recently, those who have attempted, and those who have merely thought about it, as well as the people touched by their lives. It makes me wonder what it might take to convince someone that life is worth living. Is it enough for them to know that you, one person, care about them? Would it take a sunset over the ocean? What about fresh pineapple or an all day attaya session? Would the view from the mountain be a reason? Chocolate cake and a whole milk caramel macchiato? What would best show the beauty of life, that despite its flaws, the world is pretty wonderful?

Conversely, it has inspired me. I don't remember where I first heard it, but the quote "Everyone dies, but very few ever live" has always struck a chord with me. I want to be able to say I truly experienced and enjoyed my life; that I did the best I could with what I was given. There are so many who don't get that chance that I want to live out my blessing day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment