Wednesday, February 15, 2012

La Belle Cage

"Bien que la cage soit belle, c'est un cage non plus" (Even though it's a beautiful cage, it's a cage nonetheless). Our literature teacher said this today, and it reminded me of a video I'd watched earlier today, at ellerslie.com

In it, Eric Ludy asks what gets us up in the morning, gold or God. Men and women throughout history have put their lives on the line for gold; which of us will be willing to give up the comforts of life for the Lord? Not to say that the Lord will ask you to; it's that you must be willing.

I find it ironic that we often hear people saying, "please just don't send me to Africa", etc, and that's exactly where I've been sent, yet I've given up few comforts. I'd originally listed things I'd given up, but found that it to be longer than what it feels like, and I didn't want to mislead anyone. Instead I'll say that I do have access to clean drinking water, electricity and even internet, delicious and plentiful food, wonderful friends and family, and a church home. Basic needs are more than met, as well as many things that are just nice to have. There are a few things that I miss, but I don't feel like I've sacrificed much at all. But it doesn't matter what I did or did not give up; it's the fact that the will was there - that I surrendered my original thoughts and hopes of a French study abroad and said, "here I am, send me"

And I've found freedom in the dwelling of the Lord; instead of being caged in by desires, my preferences. As nice as they were, I was still held captive by them if I refused to let them go. Senegal has been such a wonderful, freeing experience and a chance to learn more about the Lord and His people.

No comments:

Post a Comment