Friday, February 24, 2012

Oh The Things We Say Before Election Day

Me: I just realized; on any given day we're speaking 3 different languages
Val: Maybe that's why we're so tired

Me: Djibi sent me such a nice text
Angeline: Make out with him.

Addie: I don't know how you feel about cheesecake but I love sausage toes

Me: Lunch looked like rotten pumpkin guts, but tasted like the definition of delicious.

In other news, it's election time. We may have accidentally run into that Wade (current president) rally on the VDN the US Embassy sent an email about, but it was far enough down that we weren't affected. We just saw a lot of people, many wearing yellow shirts. We've been advised to stay in this weekend, and classes Monday have been canceled; everyone is anxious to see what will happen come Sunday (voting is from 8am-6pm, which is 2am- noon Wisconsin time).

We had a fascinating lecture by an economist/political analyst who helped us to understand and reflect on why this is a big deal. We were all glad that he mentioned that none of the candidates seem to be campaigning on the issues, and that what happens here in Senegal will set a precedence for Africa as a whole. This is the first "violent" election since 1988, but it is definitely the worst. But consider that when the US was this old, I'm pretty sure people were still dueling each other.

It is so surreal to be here, living through this. I honestly think I've been given the average political nerd's dream life. 4 years ago, almost to the day, I saw now President Obama speak at a rally in my hometown; my parents told me they had no problem with me missing school because it was the chance to live history (whatever you think about his politics, he is the first African American president, and it was about time). And now, here I am, witnessing a completely different country as it faces its own monumental place in time. I, like the rest of Senegal, Africa, and even much of the world, am waiting anxiously to see what's next. And of course, praying, everyone is praying. I've heard Inshallah (God willing) more times this week than any other, referring usually to plans for early next week.

So, in a country where peace is part of the standard salutations, I'm signing off. Jamm ag jamm

No comments:

Post a Comment