Friday, February 10, 2012

Jendal (Go Buy)

This week, my older sister (upper twenties, maybe 30) and I have been bonding. For several nights we drank Coke together (I've been polite, though I quit drinking Coke years ago), and two nights ago we had pizza and ice cream after dinner (second dinner. maybe she's a hobbit. I have my suspicions). Tonight, she asked me to go buy fruit: 1 kilo of melon, 1 of bananas, and 1 of clementines, and gave me 3,000CFA (approx $6). My family uses one fruit stand regularly, and I've accompanied other family members there. Unfortunately, the same man was not as his stand; someone else was. However, the plus was that he was more my age and very impressed that I knew Wolof. We talked as he weighed my fruit, and then he said it was 3500. I said I only had 3000, and he said that it was no problem at all and told me to have a good evening.

I came home and we enjoyed our fruit as a family. We had two melons, 7 bananas, and 7 or 8 clementines. They told me I did a good job with the melons (thanks mom for teaching me how to smell for the ripe ones!), which was nice to hear. Also, they asked me why I didn't buy more food and eat it at home. I reassured them that I often get fruit or a snack on our breaks from class, or on the way to or from school. But they're still convinced I'm losing weight...my sister also gave me more bread tonight so I could "grossir" (gain weight).

No comments:

Post a Comment