Friday, November 1, 2013

Falling in to Giving Thanks

I challenge you. I challenge you to enjoy the thanks in this post, and then to give thanks on your own. I challenge you to join me in a month of eucharisteo.
Cinnamon chip scones 

Sharp cheddar grilled cheese with apples and arugula, butternut squash soup, and a great cabernet sauvignon 

I love fall. The colors are brilliant, everywhere


This is the park behind the Lake City Seattle Public Library 

Fall is a sweet and savory season of changes but comfort and beauty in the broken and dying. Yesterday was Halloween, but also Reformation Day. It was so wonderful to start the day our church was grounded in salvation by grace with a study on what constitutes a local New Testament church. And now it's November 1st and Starbucks has their red cups and it's only 60 days until I'm in Los Angeles with the girl who keeps me counting thanks day after day.

This morning I read this:

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!
Serve the Lord with gladness!
Come into his presence with singing!

Know that the Lord, he is God!
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
and his courts with praise!
Give thanks to him; bless his name!

For the Lord is good;
his steadfast love endures forever,
and his faithfulness to all generations.

Psalm 100

How many reasons to give thanks are in this psalm alone?

1) The Lord is God
2) He made us
3) We belong to him
4) He is our shepherd
5) He gives us our pasture
6) He is good
7) His love endures
8) And so does his faithfulness

And yet, not long after I read that, I read this, that November is traditionally the most depression-laden month of the year.

But what's the opposite of depression?

Hope.

Joy.

Chara.

And where do we find that chara?

Eucharisteo

In the giving of thanks, we find the cure.

Writing down five things a day you're grateful for can make you feel 25% happier.

And who doesn't need a little more happiness?

So here I am, taking the challenge.

1. I'm thankful for the Bible, every Spirit-breathed, God-inspired word of it, speaking life into the darkest corners of my soul.

2. I'm thankful for Martin Luther, and his willingness to become an utter fool for Christ, defending salvation by grace.

3. I'm thankful for leaves that are every shade of orange and red and yellow

4. I'm thankful for free drink coupons that give me venti carmel brulee lattes on the first day they're available.

5. I'm thankful for days off to still and reflect and enjoy.

Join me in finding thanks to give and discovering that deep chara joy found only in gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment