Monday, October 28, 2013

Finding a Church

Being in a class that studies how churches get started, grow, and ultimately start new churches is really fascinating. Perhaps I find it particularly fascinating because I have visited about a billion churches. Ok. Not true. But I've been to 2 churches in my home area, 4 in Beloit, a half dozen or so in upstate New York, 2 in Colorado, 1 in Pennsylvania, 1 in Idaho and 3 in Seattle. And those are only the ones I instantly recall. 

In any event, people at Anchor are interested in how I found it. Some of the people in my Bible study hadn't known, and there was a new guy at church so we were talking about it, especially because I'd been coming here since my 2nd Sunday in Seattle. I sporadically read The Gospel Coalition, which is a blog run by a bunch of guys who are aligned with Together For The Gospel. It's consistent quality pieces and reviews. They have a list of churches throughout the country that align with certain core principles so I used it in coming to Seattle. 

It sounds ridiculous, but Anchor starts with A so it was high on the list. I looked on the website and seemed like a place I could see myself, and it was also about a mile down the street from my house at the time. On my way there the first time, I saw a sign for another church and I thought, well, if this doesn't work out, I'll try Calvary. 

It worked out. 

Here's why

Jesus. 

People at anchor love Jesus. The building, the style, the size, this is all secondary to me. Today Jen asked me a practical real life question and I answered her in terms of Jesus and the gospel and I wasn't sure if she got how it related and she did. She said it actually helped a lot. This is characteristic of a typical conversation between people at Anchor. 

And it's beautiful 

And it's why I'm here 

Jesus, only Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment