Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Thanks for the Rebels

I've been doing my days on auto pilot this week. My kids make me laugh and we're having fun and learning new things and their parents are contributing to my Starbucks fund but still I feel like I'm just floating along.

And mediocre living is just not my thing. I went all out on gifts for my star league girls, though, which was fun. 

And then 

I had a moment today when I felt thankful for my openly defiant children, the rebels who say no when I say yes and stop when I say go. 

Am I crazy? 

Or am I just aware of how easily deceived I am? 

Because every one of those little rebels shows me a fraction of an ounce of what it takes God to extend his grace to me - how little I deserve it and yet how freely and joyfully he gives it. 

So today, I'm thankful for 

1. Rebellious children 

2. Tiny tots with their tongues sticking out 

3. High school girls with new skills and new cofidence. 

4. New books! gods at War, How to Have a Quiet Heart and William Wilberforce: a life and excerpts. I AM SUCH A NERD. 

5. That I can enter His gates and tell my Jesus thank you for making me glad. 

Remember who you are and who God is; it softens your heart a whole lot. 

For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Titus 3:3-7

Read that again. Soak it in.

Maybe I'm not so crazy for being thankful for these reminders of grace. 

Remember. 

O to grace! 

No comments:

Post a Comment