Saturday, March 3, 2012

Tu Ne Manges Pas? (You Don't Eat?)

A favorite phrase of my family at the beginning of my journey, I realized today, at 8 weeks in, that I haven't heard it in quite some time. Before, even if I ate a lot, I'd be told I don't eat. Now, if I'm not that hungry, I've reached a point where I can eat just a little bit, get up, get some water, and it's no big deal. No one questions it. That makes me feel good, that I have some more freedom here. It's also one more thing that makes me feel more integrated into family life.

On a different, but related topic, my sister said she's on a diet - she's given up bread (which is a BIG deal for the Senegalese), pizza, ice cream - and is sticking with fruit. I'd noticed the bread thing awhile ago, but apparently it's serious now. It just seems so odd to me because the concept of going on a diet isn't really embraced by this culture. Although Amy is also nearly thirty, if not already, is unmarried, and has a job, so I guess she doesn't follow traditional norms in other ways either. Just something interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment