Monday, March 26, 2012

Feeling Burdened

I can't get the villages, especially Dindefello, out of my head. I don't think it was a coincidence that at Partners' prayer meeting this morning, we had a visitor from Kedougou, and he asked us to pray for the poverty there, as well as for opportunities to spread the Gospel in Kedougou and the surrounding villages.

I ache for those who have never been told the good news. After years of praying for various unreached people groups, it was surreal to visit them. As we sat and visited a family with whom we communicated through our guide, I wondered what it would take for them to hear of what Jesus had done for them. Pulaar is a minority language, and the Bible does not yet exist for those who speak Pulaar exclusively. Even with Wolof, there is only the New Testament. And in any case, there are many communities where most people cannot read. That's where storytelling evangelism comes in. I've learned about it, and gotten to try my hand a few times. It's hard because I don't speak Wolof well enough, so I can only share when the people speak French, but it's also really enjoyable. It's designed specifically for oral cultures accustomed to passing stories along in this manner. I feel like it would also work well for children in the US.

Oswald J Smith said, "No one deserves to hear the gospel twice when there is someone who has not heard it once". This quote is incredibly striking for me. I feel so deeply burdened for those who have not yet heard. I don't know where this will take me, or if I'm even called at all - it's possible God wants me to become a prayer warrior for this village community that has captured my heart. But if He asked, would I be prepared to give up everything to commit myself to language learning, village living and gospel-sharing?

I loved village life, I really did. Dakar is the first big city I've spent an extended period of time in - I've had day trips to Chicago and spent half a week in LA two summers ago, but this has all confirmed for me that the big city life is not for me. I like the peacefulness of the village, but I'm not sure how I would find it in the long term. Could I create a life set-apart from so many others?

*I do love Dakar, really, I do. But most of what I loved about Dakar is true of Senegal as a whole, and in some cases is multiplied in the villages.

Well, I'll be on my knees if anyone needs me. Ba ci gannauw

No comments:

Post a Comment