Sunday, March 11, 2012

Amul Solo

Not important, but interesting. Maybe not even interesting, but they all happened.

I thought I loved Sundays in the US, but Senegalese Sundays are even better! Everyone sleeps in, so my walk to church is so peaceful. I can buy warm fresh bread and eat it on the way, as it's a ways from my house. After church, I have time for a pre - lunch nap. Yeah, awesome I know. Then lunch, and attaya/movie time with my sister. Then I went out with a friend and literally just laid around, made attaya, and listened to music until dinner time. We had delicious laax (yogurt, sugar, and millet) and then I just played with my little punks til now.

I've discovered I like it better when, instead of being impressed with my Wolof, people are unphased by it. It's a way of saying, hey you're no longer a novelty toubab speaking Wolof, you're just another person living in Dakar. I think it's awesome.

I love the hot weather, but I don't understand how women like my mother can wear a giant dress with a pagne underneath. So. much. fabric! Teach me your ways! I could barely handle leggings and a scarf...I'll adjust?

Although I've previously said I was ehhh about papaya, I retract that statement. I had much better papaya today and loved it. In French papaya is papaye. In Wolof, it's papaya. Go figure.

My youngest host brother is smart! I underestimated this one. 6 or 7 weeks ago, I showed him how to write my name and not since then. Today, he wrote it perfectly for me! I'm impressed.

Yesterday, there were some visitors at our house. I greeted one of the girls, around 8or 9 years old in Wolof because I could, but she said, "Je ne comprends pas le Wolof mais I speak English" Weird. That never happens to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment