Sunday, March 25, 2012

Macky Sall!

Vote Macky: youth, experience, and integrity. Senegal's youth make up over 60% of the population, so it's easy to see why "youth" would be an important factor for a candidate.


The second round of elections happened today. Sorry for not updating more on that situation, but it's been kind of a non-issue. Plus there's the fact I was in the village this week and really had no idea what was happening in the world around us.

Anyway, things were incredibly calm. I went to church this morning and walked by two polling stations, and people were waiting in line, singing and praying. When I walked home the crowds had already slowed down. My family and friends here seemed confident that Sall would be the victor.

I went to the beach this afternoon for an attaya session (shock!) and the results were already coming in by 5pm. Sall took an early lead, and even won areas Wade won in the first round. It's all but over. My friends were really excited and kept yelling and cheering "Macky Sall, president!", along with others in the street. Djibi told me, "This will be a new Senegal". So although the results aren't final yet, it looks like we're getting a new president. I'm unclear as to when he'd actually take office, but I, along with the rest of the country, am hoping and praying that Wade steps down peacefully. The neighboring country of Mali recently (this week!) faced a coup d'etat, and Senegal is as proud as ever that they've yet to have one. Let's keep it that way.

UPDATE: At about 9:30pm here, Wade called Sall to congratulate him on his victory! Alxamdulilaay

No comments:

Post a Comment