Saturday, March 10, 2012

Togg nanu ceebujen


Today was a crazy awesome Senegal day. We cooked ceebujen. Well mostly we watched, but we paid close attention and cut veggies and picked through rice and whatnot. I took a million pictures of that, and also handed the paparazzi status over now and then, which would explain the many pictures of me. We ate until we were absolutely stuffed, and then, it was attaya time. We thought we were getting an attaya lesson, but instead we were given money, told what to buy, and left to ourselves. Since Angeline and I have made it before, we basically just taught everyone else. 350 CFA, or about $o.75 US bought two rounds of attaya for the five of us, which is the cost of a shot of espresso at Starbucks. We had a great time making attaya together, and even sang Beloit songs and pledged to make attaya together at school. It's really easy, it just takes a long time.

Then Addie, Angeline, and I went to the market. It was so calm - definitely the best experience so far. I bought 6 meters of crazy bright fabric for 6,000 CFA ($12) and a yellow veil for 1,500 ($3). The veil was some tough bargaining; he tried for 4,500, but I was stubborn and won out. I hit up that tailor on the way home, where I sketched out a dress, a skirt, and a pair of paints. I'm so excited! To have these three pieces made perfectly for my body is costing me just 5,000 ($10). Doudou charges me less, I think, because I come hang out with him sometimes.

While I was at the tailor's, Djibi called and said a bunch of people were still at the beach drinking attaya and watching the sun set. I showed him my attaya skills, and everyone was impressed. I was also wearing my tunic and fulaar and all day people told me how pretty and African I looked.

To top it all of, I was having a brief conversation in Wolof with a man who asked me how many years I'd been in Senegal. When I said two months, he said, "Two months! And you speak Wolof?!" I told him I thought I only spoke a little, but he said I was doing well" That made me feel really great.

So life is beautiful.




Everything got cooked in this one pot!

Beloit girls around the bowl - 9 weeks in Senegal yo!

No comments:

Post a Comment