Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Fan La?

Tomorrow, I am going to Palmarin Ngallo, a village near Mbour, to learn about traditional music (which means yes, I will be offline again this weekend). For our individual rural visits, we were instructed to choose based on the activity. I really miss my violin and guitar - I realized this is the longest time I've gone with an instrument since I started playing 11 years ago - so I figured, why not? I expect to learn about the tam tams (drums) and maybe the kora, a stringed instrument.

However, few of my Senegalese contacts have any idea about this village. My friends said that I was going to know more about Senegal than they do. Their only contribution was that Mbour isn't that far. I don't think anything will seem too far after Kedougou!

Then I tried talking to Mamy. She thought I was trying to say I was going to Toubab Diallo, a popular tourist destination. I then re-pronounced it and she asked if it was far. I said it was near Mbour and she said it would be a good trip.

Our DIT professor, Ibou Diallo told us it was very nice there, as it was right on the sea.

I'm looking forward to it, despite having few details about the trip, including an exact departure/return time. As hyper-organized as I am, it honestly doesn't bother me. I have this laissez-faire attitude that has come out during my time in Senegal. It will be interesting to see how much carries over into life in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment