Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Other Side

Our IV regional director and friend, Josh, once told me that he could see the way I was able to see the way in which I saw the campus as a mission field, and challenged me to help others to see it the same way. In that way, I suppose I am a missionary, though it feels funny to say. I am on a never-ending to mission to make sure that the Gospel is brought to all men, be it through prayer, or through my words and actions.

I did not come to Senegal as a "missionary" in the traditional understanding of the word. I came as a student - in the classroom, but also of the culture as a whole. However, if you think I haven't been talking to people about faith in Jesus, you would be mistaken. I do work with Partners, for whom evangelism is very important. My church base here is evangelical, and I see the ways that God works through our worship in the neighborhood. I have friends and family here, and as it is common for the Senegalese to discuss religion, the Gospel has certainly come up. A lot. So again, I find myself a missionary in a sense, relying on the Lord and calling upon His name.

This is a really nice article from the Gospel Coalition, and these are some sweet quotes on missions.

If you really feel like reading, you could check out:

A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael by Elisabeth Eliot

Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt

God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew, John and Elizabeth Sherill

Eternity in Their Hearts by Don Richardson

A Man in Christ by Roger Steer (biography of Hudson Taylor)

No Sacrifice Too Great by Eileen Vincent (story of CT Studd

Shadow of the Almighty by Elisabeth Eliot (life and testament of Jim Eliot)

A Mind for Missions by Paul Borthwick

Out of the Comfort Zone by George Verwer

Peace Child by Don Richardson

Let the Nations be Glad by John Piper

Reaching a Lost World, a YWAM Bible study


I'm probably forgetting a bunch of awesome books but this is what I've got off the top of my head. Check some of them out if you're so inclined. Any one of these is sure to challenge your worldview, but if you only have time for one and really want to hear some hard truth, I'd go with Radical. I decided to read it because one reviewer said he was so challenged by it, he didn't want to keep reading - it was just too hard. Out of the biographies, I can't even pick a favorite. You'll just have to see for yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment