Wednesday, May 22, 2013

You Set Me Free

"The strongest evidence of my growth in grace is my growth in the knowledge of my need for grace"

The above quote is from JD Greear's latest book, Stop Asking Jesus Into Your Heart. It's an incredibly poignant book about resting in the assurance of your salvation in Christ.

In the quote, Greear is talking about awareness of sin. He speaks from personal experience to say that after he believed on the gospel, that Jesus died for his sins, he continued to become even more aware of sinful patterns, behaviors, and temptations. He said that it's common to doubt your salvation when you notice how bad you still are.

He could have been talking about me.

Sometimes I look at myself and I wonder how I could possibly belong to Christ, even now.

And then I realize, I need a Savior. I know I need a Savior. I repent and I believe, and that's what we are called to do.

I know I'm growing in grace because I know how much I need it.

Galatians 5:1 has been resonating with me throughout the reading of this book,

For freedom he has set us free. Stand firm, therefore, and submit no longer to a yoke of slavery.

Free from sin. From condemnation. From guilt. From shame. From lies. From fear.

Angie Miller finished third on American Idol this season. I don't actually follow that show, but I heard about her. She performed an original song very early on in the competition, which is apparently a risky move, but this song is really good. She performed it this morning on a talk show my mom likes and it's beautiful. It's all about being set free, even in our moments of deep doubt.


No comments:

Post a Comment