Monday, May 13, 2013

Take a Deep Breath, Girl

Senior week was crazy. And exhausting. And wonderful. And it caught up to me right after graduation. I sat in the car with my parents I barely kept my eyes open until we went to lunch. I think I was too tired to eat. I went to bed early and slept in the latest I ever have. I woke up and scrolled through pictures and facebook notes, people missing Beloit and each other already.

I don't feel that yet. Maybe in the fall, when we don't come back. Maybe on a lonely night in Seattle. But right now, it feels so right. This is exactly what was supposed to happen - we work and we play and we live for four years together and then we go and do something else.

For the first time in too long, I don't have a schedule. I don't have class or work or practice or a final or a meeting or a reception or a party. I have both nothing and everything to do.

It may be a bit silly, but I have a lyric from "Fifteen" by Taylor Swift running through my head, "Take a deep breath, girl, it's the morning of your very first day".

Today is my first full day of not being a college student, but a graduate. That's weird. I've been in school for 17 of my 21 years, and now I'm not.

I take that deep breath because I need to. I'm so overwhelmed that it's manifesting itself in being underwhelmed. I have a lot of big things I need to do, and I don't think baby steps are an option at this point. I think I'm trying to jump all in.

My son, do not lose sight of these—
    keep sound wisdom and discretion,
22 and they will be life for your soul
    and adornment for your neck.
23 Then you will walk on your way securely,
    and your foot will not stumble.
24 If you lie down, you will not be afraid;
    when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
25 Do not be afraid of sudden terror
    or of the ruin of the wicked, when it comes,
26 for the Lord will be your confidence
    and will keep your foot from being caught.
Proverbs 3:21-26

I just now opened some of the graduation cards I received, and my grandma had written about Proverbs 3, especially those verses. I especially like that promise, "you will walk on your way securely". 

I take a deep breath and repeat, I will walk securely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment