Sunday, May 26, 2013

Hide and Seek

Today was my graduation party. And also going away party because this is the last time I'm going to see most of these people for a long time.

This is my favorite card, from my aunt. It perfectly expresses my lack of goodbyes. Alissa and I said something like, I'll see you - technology is great. Betsy looked at me with the it's goodbye but we're pretending it's not look. Liztowne and I definitely never said goodbye. My mom keeps saying Seattle will be a nice place to visit. That was a common theme. I like that much better than any alternative. Plus, after doing the whole abroad for a year, graduated friends thing, I know that I stay in excellent touch with people who mean the absolute most to me. And I'm also good at blogging. 

All that being said, today I felt a little bit of eye mist. I looked at my photo board with friends and family and saw the places I've been and the people I've met and the person I've become and it was a little bit emotional. 

But I've had a lot of opportunities to learn a lot about myself. I know I adapt well. I know that wherever I am, I am all there. I know God will make my paths straight, and I've learned to be happy just about anywhere. 

And I've learned a lot from great writers. As a reader, I thought I'd highlight a few: 

Job shows me that the Lord's name is always blessed. 

Paul presses on that God is making all things work together for my good. 

Ann Voskamp whispers to me to give thanks for all things at all times, especially the ugly beautiful. 

Lucy Maude Montgomery taught me to keep dreaming and that the world is full of happiness if we look for it. 

Walt Whitman urges me that no matter how much I learn, I need to remember to look up in perfect silence at the stars and lay down in leaves of grass. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson encourages me to live deeply and suck the marrow out of life. 

CS Lewis reminds me not to lose the wonder in the Christian walk. 

John Piper pleads for memory of the pleasures of God. 

Dave Gibbons and Andrew Marin challenge me to love those who are unlike me. 

David Platt dares me to be radical. 

Laura Wilder brings me back to home, if only in my heart. 

Lois Lowry inspires me not to fear the unknown and to be brave in pursuing my gifts. 

The Bronte sisters show me that one day, it might just be ok to be swept up in romance. 

Isabelle Allende demonstrates that life may not turn out how you expect, but that the journey will be wonderful, and better than if you'd planned it yourself. 

Tolstoy teaches about marriage and the gospel and the fallen world. 

Sartre tells me I'm not an existentialist and it's really not worth it to live half empty. 

Dickens gives hope in hard times. 

And David echoes deep in my soul, 

The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed I have a beautiful inheritance. 
  
Ps. If anyone can name every book I just referenced, I don't know what you'll win, but it will be awesome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment