Monday, May 20, 2013

A Big Day

Today was a big day. I got up this morning - too early for the things I had to do - and waited until banks open.

Step one was Wells Fargo to pay rent. I'd never been to a Wells Fargo, and I'd also never put money into someone else's account like this. The teller was pretty much the nicest person I could have asked for, and she made everything so easy! It was a really great start to my day.

Then I got in the car again, but realized 1) I hadn't had any coffee and 2) There was a coffee shop right in front of my face. So I got out and was purchasing some coconut coffee when it was revealed that I am a recent Beloit College grad. As it turns out, so was the woman working. Coffee on the house. Win!

After that, I went to Waukesha State. I have banked there since I was a child in Friendly's kids club. And then when I was 15, I got a checking account with my own debit card and everything. In all reality, I should have switched banks a long time ago, because it caused me some hassles starting about a year ago, but I sucked it up until now. The teller there was also incredibly nice and she literally handled everything for me. She never asked for my ID, though, which I thought was a bit weird...she also for a second thought Frank was my husband and not my dad. Also weird.

As I walked out of there with too much cash for a person to be carrying, I felt my eyes get a little bit misty. This is the beginning of my understanding of what moving really is. Sure I "moved" to Beloit, but that's an hour away, and I was back for Thanksgiving and Christmas and summer. I still lived in Waukesha almost a third of the year. There are a lot of memories tied up in that bank, so it's a little sad leaving it.

Then I drove on over to Chase, which is conveniently less than a half mile away. Again, there were no lines and everyone made everything so simple! The nice woman who opened my new checking account for me was jealous of my passport card, which I luckily had on me, as you need two forms of ID to open an account (who knew?). She also let me talk about my study abroad experience and set up direct deposit for me, giving me the form that I need to give my new employer. And, to top it off, since my debit card won't arrive immediately, she gave me a few checks just in case I'd need them before it arrives.

So 3 banks in different parts of town and coffee were all accomplished in less than an hour and a half, and absolutely no headaches or stress. I also might have sang very loudly with my windows down, because it is a beautiful day.

Now I actually feel somewhat inspired to reorganize all my belongings! Look at that.

Update: I went through all of the still-packed items in my room, and then sorted. I have a few more receptacles in my parents' room, but my dad is asleep so that will just have to wait for another burst of inspiration. Being a morning person on vacation is ridiculous because I only ever have a couple things I should remotely consider doing, but I get them done so early that I have to keep inventing new things to accomplish. Alissa and I were discussing this problem. Another one of our big questions is, what are we supposed to do with our diplomas? I just unpacked mine, and am I supposed to take that with me everywhere I move for the rest of my life? I guess I shouldn't just leave it with my parents.

Second update: I asked my mom what I'm supposed to do with my diploma and she said it's totally fine if I throw it in a box.

No comments:

Post a Comment