Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Greetings

Salutations in Senegal are critical; greet everyone in the room even if you don't know them. Ask about their health, their family, their work/school. Say Alxamdulilaay after each response.

The thing that amazes me is the children. In our culture, we give kids a lot of slack when it comes to saying hello. Even the youngest children will stand, come to you, and offer their hand. My 10 year old brother Ibou is currently enthralled in the first Harry Potter; even so he puts the book down, stands up, and shakes my hand. Yesterday I ran into my friend's cousin (~9) and she was goofing around with a younger girl on her back. Both took the time to extend their hands. Aida even did the slight curtsey that is customary for a girl to give her female elders.

Now I no nothing about parenting, but I do think that if I have kids one day, I'd like to teach them this value. It's made a lasting impression on me, and I'd love to see it make its way west.

No comments:

Post a Comment