Monday, May 21, 2012

Damascus Road

When Kate cleans out her computer, it means you get to be tortured by old writing assignments that aren't "that" bad. This did not make it into the "for portfolio" folder, so you've all been warned.

Damascus Road


Just about every American home has a good ole Bible somewhere.  I won’t bore you folks with the fancy statistic, but it’s a lot. Anyway, if you were gonna pick one up and turn it to Acts chapter 9, you’d read about this guy, Saul who gets Jesus and becomes Paul on the way to Damascus. Once he gets Him, he never lets go and goes all around preachin’ and even bein beatin’ for loving Christ. But he sticks with it. Sounds pretty crazy if you ask me. At least it used to.

            Back in my day, I had this buddy who thought everyone had his or her own little Damascus Road experience. I didn’t know that he was one of them Jesus freaks when I started hangin out with him. ‘Course, he wasn’t really all that crazy til a few years down the line. Nah, we were just a coupla young men tossin around that football in the park. We knew some people, and every Saturday afternoon, rain or shine, we’d gather ourselves and kinda hang out. After, we’d go to the bars, and that’s when things would get wild. Well, I’d known Rod about three years when one year, he just didn’t show up. We didn’t see head or tails of that boy all summer. September rolled around and he showed up again, but man, he was weird. He kept talkin’ ‘bout how God had changed him that summer-he worked in some church or somethin’ with his folks. He played ball with us, still, but he wasn’t drinkin’ beer or liquor anymore, said it was takin’ him further away from bein’ like Jesus. One day I got around to askin’ him what had happened. That’s when he showed me Acts 9. He pulled a tiny little Bible out of his pocket right there in the park, and started readin’ like it was no big deal. Then he looked at me and told me he had hisself his own Damascus Road. Then he goes on and on ‘bout how everyone’s already on his way to Damascus. We all gonna meet Jesus one day, he claimed; some of us meet him on earth and some just when we die. And if we wait til we die, it’ll be too late. We won’t get to go to heaven.
            Now to me, this was all just some dude talkin’ crazy. At some point our little group separated-you know, people getting’ married, havin’ families, whatever. Me, I headed out west to see what I’d find, and fancied myself up on a mountain. Lived quiet, workin’ in town, not really botherin’ anyone. But I was passin’ by the church one day, and the preacher man was talkin’ ‘bout that guy Saul. Don’t you know it, I had to stop and listen a little. I couldn’t believe there was someone else as crazy as Rod (where was that boy anyway?!) out here.  All of a sudden, I felt real weird-dizzy. I found out now I had a heart attack. But ‘most the whole town was in the church not payin’ attention to the old guy outside it, so I died right there.
           
            I think it’s pretty hysterical that the last words I heard before I met Jesus were all about someone else meetin’ Him. This whole time, I never believed it could be true, it was all just too nuts. But then I had to. I had my own Damascus Road. And ya know what, it was too late. Now I’ve got to sit here sweatin’ it out with the rest of us who never volunteered to hike up that road. And let me tell you, it’s the worst. So hear me out: don’t come meet me. You don’t want that, trust me. Take some time and figure out how you gonna meet Jesus. Because He’s awesome, and I wish I got to spend more time with Him ‘stead of havin’ to head down here. I don’t care if you hitchhike, walk, crawl, jump a train, or ride you a bicycle down that road, just get your butt on it. Then you be Paul, and tell everyone about all about it. I jist hope you don’t get beat like he did, ‘cause I might feel a little terrible. Eh, but maybe not. ‘Cuz getting beat will still get you into heaven. At leas’ you won’t be here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment