Thursday, May 31, 2012

10 Minute Workout

Some of the most-dreaded words to ever come out of my high school track coach's mouth. I know, you're thinking, "how bad can 10 minutes be?". To a sprinter with low endurance, or a distance runner with no quick turn over, pretty bad.

You have one minute to run down a football field as fast as you can and jog back. The few seconds left over are your recovery, because when that minute runs out, you take off again. You do this 10 times in all, making it the perfect workout when you're in a rush.

As a high schooler, I hated this workout with a passion. I could barely even complete it. It was rough, to say the least.

But for college I joined cross country. I've been nailing some pretty nice runs and long bike rides lately, so I decided it was time to give this another shot. I've developed a love of barefoot running, so I shucked my shoes and ventured out.

It felt amazing. I felt fast on the sprint and relaxed on the way back. I grabbed just a few seconds' rest each time, but still felt fairly good when it was time to take off again. After number 10, I got water, stretched a little, and then you know what?

I did it again.

But what's crazier is

I did it a third time.

It reminded me of being back at gymnastics before things got hard, sprinting across the floor and still doing cartwheels in the hallway as I headed home.

Barefoot was a bonus too ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment