Friday, October 2, 2015

Write31 Day 2 and Beyond: Rest, Community, Commitment

I picked my topic well over a month ago, and since then I've been trying to figure out how I really wanted to approach this month. Even now, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. I've mostly resigned myself to letting go of a chronological or orderly 'plot line' if you will. I decided early on to keep a practice journal, short thoughts on my practice, the time of day, and the instructor. My entry yesterday was inspired by my noon power class with Devyn. I have taken three classes since then, however, and none of them really go together. So, if it's ok with you, I think I will just share my thoughts from each of my practices.

10/1 7:45pm Power w/Josh 
I had a crazy work day, and I felt my fuse getting shorter all night. I was frazzled and couldn't think straight or answer my kids' simple questions. I came to the mat needing to be reminded that my life is an enormous gift. As we started flowing, I felt even more open than usual. It felt so refreshing to be so free. It's amazing how God can use the art I create with my body in yoga to point to the fullness of His care for me and the beauty of His great name. Although I had planned on staying for another class, I felt a desire to go home, to relax and to get to bed early. I honored that desire for rest, and now I'm here, writing and drinking tea before bed. Rest glorifies God because He created it and He commanded it. When we rest, we say, "Jesus, I trust You to give me life and everything I need. You are my greatest treasure and joy". Rest looks different at different times for different people, but we all need it. Jesus gives the rest that leads to life.

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28 

Whoever has entered God's rest as also rested from his works as God did from his. Hebrews 4:19 

10/2 6am Power w/Josh 
I love waking up, reading the Bible, and walking to yoga first thing in the morning. It grounds me and reminds me, right from the beginning that this is indeed that day the Lord has made. It sets me up fro gratitude.
A few days ago, another instructor helped me into a deep backbend, deeper than I think I've ever been. I am continuing to feel its effects; the openness keeps catching me off guard. I love backbends because they show me how to bend without breaking, and I find myself being remade, because God doesn't want part of us, He wants the whole us, and He will do whatever it takes to bring us there.

10/2 Noon Power w/Elvis 
This afternoon, I practiced next to an instructor. I like practicing next to people I know, because once in awhile, you catch their eye and someone smiles or makes a face and you just acknowledge each other. It's life-giving, to walk through ordinary moments with people and breathe into them. I take class often, because I love the movement and the breath, but also to sit and explore and breathe and move with other people. This is also part of the reason why my church and community group and Bible study are all priorities for me: being with other believers to worship God for who He is and what He's done brings life to my soul and my Christian walk. And it glorifies God when His people embrace each other and point to Jesus. Testimonies. Ebenezers. Evidences of grace. Encouragement. Deep friendship. This is community. When I'm connected to God, when I'm in tune with how the Holy Spirit is in my life, I can connect better with others, because we are all made in His image. Every moment, every life and every breath comes right from his hand. Jesus meets me as I meet my neighbor and He meets us together in ordinary time.

Let's dig deep, not to create meaning where there isn't any, but to see Christ, our companion, where he actually is, not where we wish he was. Let's gently pole our sleepy souls, refusing to wait for a big event to wake us up. Let's stop running from ordinary time but begin to sit in the midst of it. 
Emily Freeman, Simply Tuesday (I could have used any one of many quotes from this book. She's a new favorite writer of mine and a great influence for this series).

10/2 Playtime w/Josh (post noon power) 
Josh had a pose he wanted to try with me, so after class we gave it a go. It was fun to try something new, to feel something different. I had the floor beneath me and Josh above me and there was no turning back.

Remind you of a song?

The world behind me, the cross before me 
No turning back, no turning back 

When you turn to Jesus, you make a commitment to follow Him at any cost. Once you know Him, you are His. You are to live every day as one who seeks Him. When I learn something new at yoga, it encourages me to dig even deeper into knowing God, because there is always more to learn. Just when you think you know something inside and out, you discover there is more. Sometimes, this starts to overwhelm us. It can makes us want to quit. But what if we embrace it? What if we embrace eternity right now? I have dedicated myself to my yoga practice, but first and foremost, to Jesus. I get to keep discovering what full life in Christ looks like every day for the rest of my life, which includes the time after which my life on earth has come to an end. It's a curious thing, this commitment, because even when you start thinking you might want to back out, it's always pulling you back in, asking for more.

P.S. here's the picture
I am doing plow. He is doing crow. I call this crowplow.


No comments:

Post a Comment