Thursday, October 8, 2015

Alignment, Help, Practice Makes Practice

10/7 7:45pm power w/Thang

Alignment. On the drive to class, I suddenly got really tired. But I know how I crave movement and breathing and alignment, and Thang's class always does the trick. He has a reputation for teaching a hot, challenging class, but I love his style. His first priority is always the breath, and then meticulous alignment a close second. I would say his class has made a big difference in my practice. I like the precision. The focus. And I love seeing the alignment matter - straighten out one thing and the whole posture changes. I've been reading 1 Timothy, and have seen how a pursuit of godliness pulls your whole life in a better direction. Get your priorities straight and yourself in order. Balance will come.

But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world and we cannot take anything out of the world...Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 1 Timothy 6:6-7, 11b-12. 

10/7 9pm yin w/Devyn

Devyn is the best. She is so knowledgable about the body and yoga, and she genuinely wants everyone to have the best possible experience in their own body right now. She makes it so easy, to ask for help, which is important in yin. If you're going to hold a pose for several minutes, it better be comfortable. Tonight, she helped me relieve crazy soreness btyb the L sits. I am always amazed at how great I can feel after a yin class. Pushing, and then letting go is a beautiful thing. In my body, in my life. What's bothering you? Are you anxious? Worried? Scared? Stressed? Lean into it Talk to Jesus about it. Ask Him for help. And when He helps you, accept it. Welcome Him. And let your cares go. He will be faithful.

10/8 noon power w/ Devyn

Practice makes practice. I hemmed and hawed about going to class today. I was tired, but also creaky. Yoga has never hurt me like this, only helped. And yet, even though I made it to my mat, I found myself with a bad attitude. At one point near the beginning, I briefly toyed with leaving.

But I didn't And I ended up really getting into it and enjoying myself. Sometimes I don't feel like it is not an excuse. You have to actually practice in order to have a yoga practice. I finished, went home, and showered and took a power nap and now I'm writing and I'm so glad I went to class today. There are days when I want to skip my Bible or even church, but I know I'll only feel worse if I do. Sometimes faithfulness comes from being faithful. You pray until you pray, as Martin Luther would say. Instead of taking yourself out, get yourself in. You might find something you didn't expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment