Thursday, October 1, 2015

Peace

Peace is the disciplined thinking out of the implications of what you believe
 - Tim Keller 

I've had that thought running through my head all morning, so when I slipped into the hot room for a noon power flow, that's what was on my mind. 

I believe that God chose to reveal Himself in the person of Jesus Christ. I believe that Jesus lived a perfect life and died the death I deserved to pay for my sins. I believe that He rose up from the grave and lives ever to make intercession for me. I believe His presence dwells inside me through the power of the Holy Spirit. 

If I believe all these things, that the God of the universe has breathed life into my soul, what does that mean? Can anything shake me? Can anyone accuse me? 

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died - more than that, who was raised - who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, "For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered"

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life nor angles nor rulers nor things present nor things to come not powers nor height nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:31-39

In Christ, we are made one with the One who made us. What can bring more peace than union with God, the maker of heaven and earth? When I step on my mat in the middle of the day, I get to drop every expectation I have for myself, every judgment I've heard made, every stress in my work life and my relationships. I get to let it all go and breathe in, breathe out, and remember that Christ has made me His own. If I have Jesus, I have absolutely everything. Nothing can take that away from me. 

I can fall. I can try something new. I can back off. I can push my edge. I can find comfort. I can relax. 

And I can rest here, in the power of the cross and in this resurrection life I lead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment