Thursday, October 15, 2015

Get out of your mind, Dazed, Own

These practices don't really feel like they're cohesive at all. Sometimes they have been lately, but these are all over the place. That's the beauty of daily practice, though I guess.

10/14 7:45pm power w/Thang

Get out of your mind! In everything there is a season, right - all is made good in its time? In any event, that's how I approach my practice. I am not afraid to skip a class. I'm not afraid to back off. I think there are reasons to listen to yourself when you're tired or sore, or potentially injured. But I also think there's a time when your body needs to move and your mind is trying to convince you otherwise. We're good at making excuses and sugar coating them. But we're not always awesome at pushing ourselves.

Tonight, I thought about skipping Thang's class, but I know I've never regretted going, and I know I can always child's pose it at any time. And it ended up being an incredibly strong, contented practice for me. I stopped thinking and started doing. Sometimes it really is that easy. God blesses obedience, and tunnel vision on His kingdom. We don't have to hem and haw about the details - get moving, and He'll show you the way.

This throwback inspired my practice tonight:

10/14 9pm yin w/Devyn

Dazed. Remember how I've told you not every practice is exciting or invigorating or revealing of some great truth? Yeah, that was tonight. I felt myself super out of it - not asleep, but not present or connected either. I didn't feel a lot in the postures we held and class's end surprised me. So chalk it up to another desert kind of day. Maybe the benefits will manifest themselves in a way I can't see right now.


the Saved… what happens to them is best described as the opposite of a mirage. What seemed, when they entered it, to be the vale of misery turns out, when they look back, to have been a well; and where present experience saw only salt deserts, memory truthfully records that the pools were full of water. C.S. Lewis, The Great Divorce 

10/15 noon power with Devyn 

Own it. I really liked something Devyn did today. We did sun salutation B, but we held each posture for five of our own breaths. We actually had to zero in on what was happening in each moment. We had to stay when it wasn't comfortable. We had the opportunity to observe not only what was happening with ou rbodies, but our heads as well. Mentally, where do you go when things get hard? I must be a masochist, because I started going slower, to the point where I was holding low push up (on one leg!) for nearly a minute because my breaths were so long. I own that, though, and I can rest in the fact that that's who I am right now. I also own my faith. Jesus saves sinners like me, and I'm not afraid to say that because I am so tuned into that truth that it's the most important thing in the world to me. When you believe in something that strongly, nothing can shake you. If you borrow something, you'll find yourself lost when it's taken away. But if you own it, it's yours forever 

No comments:

Post a Comment