Saturday, October 10, 2015

Listen, Move, As You Are

10/10 8am power w/Josh 

Listen. Lately, I've found myself letting go of the need to follow the instructions exactly. For a type A, follow the rules, do what I'm told type, finding freedom and fluidity in class can be like pulling teeth. I started slow - an extra breath here, a different variation there. Lingering even a few seconds longer put me on such an edge - I don't want to be the on not following directions! But I've been learning, slowly, that it's less important to do with everyone else is doing than it is to listen to my body and move with my breath. Put another way, it's not about going with the flow than it is about going with your flow. I think the church faces this dilemma a lot: that is, the dilemma of which voices we're listening to. Are we listening to the shouts of our culture, or are we listening to the still, soft voice of the Holy Spirit, breathing life though the Word of God? How did you learn Christ? Listen to that truth, there is no other.

Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds. They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart. They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity. But that is not the way you learned Christ! — assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:17-24 

10/10 post 8am playtime w/Josh 

Move. Josh had some more Ideas for us, but he'd accidentally deleted the picture. So he explained it again to remind me; I'm not an auditory learner so I was pretty skeptical. But he seemed sure and I mostly trust him, so we started working our way into something crazy. We were pretty secure so he said, "Alright, now make it look pretty". I asked how and he said, "I don't know you're a girl, do your thing". I started moving and just letting him hold me and be there if I fell (which only happened once). But I felt so encouraged and supported. So, I was ok to do something different. And it turned out really cool. I'm currently reading a book about the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer. One thread is that we can't always know for sure whether an urging is from God, but if we move, He does bless that obedience. [Side note: if you are feeling led to do something that contradicts the Word of God, it's NOT the Holy Spirit!]. Sometimes we get so stuck waiting for specific revelation and all we really have to do is start moving. Give it a try sometime! 

Props to Josh for being so encouraging


10/10 5:15pm power w/Josh 

As you are. I had a hectic day. I probably didn't need to come to class. I was all over the place - the way you are when you're overactive and just done. I felt, and apparently looked, tired. I like that my practice reflects my current state. It's honest. It's not like I come to the mat for some big moment or to hide from one, I'm coming to observe. And I wonder, how often do we come to God the same way? Do we try to clean ourselves up and white knuckle it or do we say, here I am? Honesty in weakness is a tremendous strength before the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment