Sunday, February 22, 2015

My soul magnifies The Lord

This post might be long and rambling, but at least there are pictures. 

The change your mind reading plan is totally living up to its name. It is awakening me to God's presence in every moment. I can't even express how spectacularly beautiful Jesus is to me right now. This is the Bible I've been using for the last 14 months or so. 


It's not special; I spent just a few dollars on it, and it's by no means anything fancy. The edges are frayed and the binding is coming loose. I could lose pages at any time (the Gospel of John is hanging on by a thread). But this book, it's bread, it's life to me. The pages are full of Ebenezers, of prayers asked and answered. 
It's a record of my sanctification, of God's grace touching my life and touching the life of the family He's given me. I wish you could all hold it. It is power and truth and joy and peace in a $4 paperback. When my heart is still, it's enough to hold it, to flip its pages and remember - remember the preaching I heard through Micah and Hebrews, the early morning Bible studies in James, 1 John, Habakkuk, Nahum, Hosea, Zechariah, the texts memorized in the Psalms, in Leviticus and Deuteronomy, in Ephesians and Romans and 2 Timothy and Luke. 

This morning, you would have found this page tucked into Genesis 24, because I have the sincere privilege of teaching Anchor Church's kids every three weeks or so. 

And while there are some mornings that I wake up and would rather not be serving or leading, every time I see those kids and how hungry they are to hear more about Jesus, to talk about Him, to sing to him, to say His name, it reminds me that God's Word isn't just for me, it's for everyone. 
 Hear O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down and when you rise. Deuteronomy 6:4-7 

And so I cut cards and set out stickers and crayons and tell the kids they can make a reminder for themselves, or for someone else, that God is faithful and listens to our prayers. And sweet seven year old Ava hands this one to me and tells me God hears my prayers and it's beautiful.

And when we're talking about times when God has helped us, and the kids ask me how Jesus has answered my prayers, I get unexpectedly emotional. I tell them that when I was moving to Seattle over a year and a half ago, I prayed for a church that loved Jesus and cherished the Bible and would let me teach their kids, and I look into their eyes and say, "And look how God answered that prayer! I'm here right now telling all of you that you can trust Jesus because He loves you" 

I've read the entire book of Luke twice today. It's riveting. I feel filled just opening up to it and turning the pages. Every word is water to my thirsty soul and bread to my hungry heart. I look outside at the sun and the mountains and see the God who made them and commands them to this day. I sing with Mary, 

My soul magnifies that Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts; he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. 
Luke 1:46-53 

The soul that magnifies the Lord sees Him and His grace and mercy and lovingkindness in everything. It's living a life as a pointer - pointing away from yourself and to Jesus. This is what it is to know Him and to receive Him and grow up into Him.

Lord, may my soul magnify You more and more. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment